Hope for Depression Research Foundation Race of Hope
Saturday, 02/15/2020 – 07:00 am – 12:00 pm
The Royal Poinciana Plaza
340 Royal Poinciana Way,
Miami, Florida 33480
Hope for Depression Research Foundation Kicks-off Awareness Raising Campaign in Palm Beach
Royal Park Bridge Lights Up Yellow for the Race of Hope
Shining Light on The Importance of Mental Health in 2020
February 4 – 15, 2020
(Palm Beach, FL – January 22, 2020) – Palm Beach’s iconic Royal Park Bridge will light up in sunshine yellow on Tuesday, February 4 to kick off the Hope for Depression Research Foundation’s (HDRF) Annual Race of Hope to Defeat Depression and declare a town-wide campaign to raise awareness about mental health.
The bridge lights, underwritten by Addison Hines Charitable Trust, will stay lit in HDRF’s signature yellow for the entire month of February.
HDRF’s Race of Hope, the centerpiece of the campaign, is a 5K Run/Walk on Saturday, February 15 at 8 am at The Royal Poinciana Plaza. HDRF Founding Chair Audrey Gruss and Board member Scott Snyder, both Palm Beach residents, are Grand Marshals for the annual event which is now in its second year. With hundreds registered from Palm Beach and beyond, the Race unites the community in an active day of health to speak out about depression and raise funds for critical research.
“Depression is the Number One cause of suicide and disability worldwide,” said Audrey Gruss, “and our vow in the next decade is to find new treatments that will finally bring this complex illness under control.”
Gruss added: “The support we receive in Palm Beach for the work we do affirms our commitment to defeating this debilitating illness that affects each and every one of us, either directly or indirectly.”
What is HDRF, and a quick overview of their work/achievements in the past decade:
· HDRF is the leading non-profit dedicated solely to advanced depression research.
· Audrey Gruss founded the organization in 2006 in memory of her mother, Hope, who struggled with depression.
· The mission of HDRF is to fund cutting-edge neuroscience research into the origins, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of depression and other related mood disorders.
· In 2010, HDRF launched its Depression Task Force – a collaboration of nine leading scientists, at the frontiers of brain science, from different research institutions across the U.S. and Canada. To accelerate breakthrough research, they share ongoing results, in real-time, at the HDRF Data Center.
· HDRF has invested over 30 million dollars in advanced depression research to date.
Palm Beach 5K Race of Hope Sponsors:
Addison Hines Charitable Trust, The Royal Poinciana Plaza, Livingston Builders, Black River Caviar, Art Findlay, Impala Asset Management, Contessa Gallery, Palm Beach Modern + Contemporary, Coral Shores Behavioral Health, Hamptons Tax and Advisory Services, La Clara, Coastal Gardens, Hamilton Jewelers, UBS, Sunreef Yachts, Frances Valentine, Palm Beach Illustrated, Brown Moving and Storage, and Palm Beach Atlantic University
$45 per adult until Wednesday, February 12 when online registration closes; $45 at Packet Pickup on Friday, February 14; $50 on Race Day, $20 per student and $15 per child (14 and under).
• Strollers and dogs welcome