Books & Book visiting authors Ford, Pitts, Weinstein, Goolrick, Shriver
Books & Books
Free & Open to the Community
There are some outstanding authors visiting Books & Books in the Gables over the next few weeks. Books & Books has a packed schedule of readings this summer. Parking available at municipal garage across the street.
* June 7: Rochelle Weinstein, Miami born and current resident, author of What We Leave Behind, which asks the question, “What if we had the chance to go back and live what could have been?” The book chronicles the powerful grip of love- both young and mature- and one woman’s journey through her first romantic relationship, its betrayal and and how a single choice instantly and profoundly alters the trajectory of her life.
* June 8: Richard Ford, author of The Sportswriter, Lay of the Land, and the Pulitzer Prize winning novel Independence Day, with his new book, Canada that tells the story about the effects his parents robbery has on his life
* June 9: Leonard Pitts, Miami’s own columnist in Miami with his novel Freeman, about a man who after the Civil War returns to the South to find his wife, the mother of his only child, whom he left behind 15 years earlier on the Mississippi farm to which they belonged
* June 12: Robert Goolrick, author of very popular novel The Unreliable Wife, visiting Miami with his new book Heading Out to Wonderful
* June 13: Mark Shriver, son of Sargent Shriver (founder of the Peace Corps) and Eunice Kennedy (founder of Special Olympics and sister of the late president John F. Kennedy), has written a biography, A Good Man: Rediscovering My Father, Sarge Shriver about his father, the principles his father lived by and growing up on the famous family.
* June 14: Sara Lawrence Lightfoot, sociologist, professor at the Harvard Grad. School of Education and chair of the MacArthur Foundation, is coming to Miami to share her 10th book, Exit: The Endings That Set Us Free. In her book she explores the ways we leave one thing and move on to the next by interviewing a variety of people in the midst of change: a 16 ear old boy forced to leave Iran in the midst of the violent civil war; a Catholic priest who leaves the Church and a gay man who finds peace after coming out.