Tour: Little Havana at Night
May 11, 2012, 9 – 11 pm
Little Havana Guide @ Futurama 1637
1637 SW 8th St.
Miami, FL 33135
Explore Little Havana music, dance, art, food and culture at night with an excursion led by Little Havana ambassador Corinna Moebius.
Our 3-hour adventure begins at 9 pm:
* Visit local art studios and meet the artists
* Savor light Spanish tapas while watching a performance of flamenco dance
* Experience an Argentinian-style milonga (with Miami’s best tango dancers)
* Get a sneak peek at other live music performances on Calle Ocho
* Hear stories about Little Havana nightlife from times past
* Keep your energy up with a shot of cafe cubano (optional!)
* Savor a dish or cone of delectable gourmet Cuban ice cream
* Conclude your night at CubaOcho with live Cuban music (cover included)!
Plus: Dine ahead of time — or after the tour. Participants receive a 20% discount (for the day of the tour) on their meal at local restaurants including:
* Catharsis (Latin fusion)
* Casa Panza Cafe (Spanish)
* El Cristo (Cuban)
* El Exquisito (Cuban)
These discounts do not include alcohol except at CubaOcho, where you can get 20% off a tasty mojito! Use your discount before (beginning at 7 pm) or after the tour (CubaOcho, Casa Panza and Catharsis are open after 11 pm).
This excursion is limited to 15 people only. Other nighttime excursions will be offered, but each will be different, so don’t miss your chance for this experience!
Each ticket is $65, which includes the 3-hour tour/excursion, Spanish tapas, ice cream, cafe cubano, cover charge at CubaOcho, access to events like the Milonga and 20% discounts at participating restaurants. REGISTER NOW:
Special: Purchase your ticket by midnight, Wednesday, May 9 and save $10!
Why Choose My Tours
* The tours I offer are absolutely unique and always updated, as I am myself immersed in the neighborhood. I also strive to tailor our tours to the interests expressed by our participants.
* LHG tours give a holistic perspective of the neighborhood and its diverse cultural traditions. I inspire you to visit the neighborhod again so you can explore it even more deeply. I am very respectful of our diverse communities.
* I live and work in the heart of the neighborhood and am actively involved in local arts and culture, community development and planning, small business development, etc. I also of course write and publish LittleHavanaGuide.com. If you want to know about what’s happening in Little Havana, take a tour with me and ask questions!
* LHG tours are multi-sensory experiences. Not only will you be able to taste local cuisine, but you will also hear music samples, see dance moves demonstrated, and meet local artists — from painters to poets, musicians to dancers. You will also hear directly from local business owners.
* In supporting our tours, you are supporting Little Havana Guide. You are supporting a Little Havana-based business and other Little Havana mom-and-pop businesses and artists.
About Your Guide
I live in Little Havana and love it. Gringa by birth but culturally mixed by life experience, Iâ€™m dedicated to promoting this place. I am fluent in English, Spanish and Spanglish.
In addition to offering tours, I publish LittleHavanaGuide.com, an online guide and blog for Little Havana. I co-founded the neighborhoodâ€™s new Chamber of Commerce and am the former Director of Viernes Culturales, Little Havanaâ€™s monthly arts festival. I am a very active leader and community advocate.
I have led tours of the neighborhood since 2006, and have also served as the Little Havana guide for Miami Culinary Tours (MCT). During my time with MCT, many of the guests I took on tours “called back to say that the tour with Corinna was one of the best things they have done in Miami,” says Grace Della, MCT’s owner.
In addition to graduate level academic work in Cultural Studies, I have researched Latino folk, cultural and religious traditions for more than 20 years, learning from mural artists, musicians, dancers, small business owners, healers, Santeros, community teatro organizers, activists and others.
I abide by the principles of geotourism (sustainable, socially conscious tourism) and in doing do strive to help fellow community members enhance and preserve what we love about this place.
Testimonials About My Tours
“Although I have been familiar with Calle Ocho and Little Havana for a couple decades (I formerly lived in Miami and conducted research there), Corinna was able to provide a great deal of new information that would be available only to a resident and someone who lived with the local culture daily. She did so in a way that was not only interesting and vivacious, but was able to explain things to participants at a variety of different levels. And it was clear that she was liked and respected in the neighborhood. This was by far one of the best tours I have ever been on.”
— Tina Bucuvalas (President of the Florida Folklore Society and former State Folklorist and Director of the Florida Folklife Program of the Florida Department of State)
“… Bottomline, she is a gifted guide who is passionate about the culture. My daughter told me to stop telling her about the tour because she was mad she didn’t come. We are going to do the tour again in December with my wife and daughter as well.”
– Steve (Ohio)
“Our guide Corinna was passionate about Little Havana and knows it inside and out. The tour let our group be insiders for a day and get to know the real people, places and treasures of the area. We had a blast! I couldn’t recommend this experience more highly.”
– Jessie (Boston, MA)
“â€¦ one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had on vacation! Thanks for the cultural experience!”
– Whitney (Chicago, IL)
“Corinna is one of the best tour guides I have ever worked with. Her knowledge of Little Havana makes her an authority to be respected in the neighborhood. She passionately guided guests from Miami Culinary Tours, many of whom have called back to say that the tour with Corinna was one of the best things they have done in Miami.”
– Grace Della, Founder of Miami Culinary Tours
“The tour was superb. Corinna will take you to the most interesting and eclectic places in Little Havana.”
– David (Key West, FL)
“The energy and enthusiasm you showed was contagious and helped spark some great discussions about Little Havana and Miami in general.”
– Eddie Padilla (Miami, FL)
â€œCorinna had boundless energy and was incredibly knowledgeable about every topic. Walking through Little Havana, Corinna would exchange greetings with passersby and it was clear that she is a beloved member of this community. All the participants in our program really enjoyed getting to see this legendary neighborhood up close. I highly recommend Corinna and Little Havana Guide Tours.â€
– Meredith Mashner, International Program Manager, Arcadia University
â€œA Little Havana resident and local leader, Corinna showcases our wonderful Little Havana to the world with the same commitment and passion every single time. Viernes Culturales/ Cultural Fridays considers Corinna a true advocate, friend and part of Little Havana.â€
– Pati Vargas, Executive Director, Viernes Culturales/Cultural Fridays