RA Sushi in South Miami’s first-ever Foodies Show Heart charity cooking competition
Wednesday, 02/13/2013, 07:00 pm – 09:00 pm
RA Sushi in South Miami
5829 SW 73rd St.,
South Miami, Florida 33143
SIX Savvy Foodies
ONE Secret Ingredient
AN EPIC BATTLE FOR A NOBLE CAUSE
RA Sushi in South Miami present its 1st ever â€œFOODIES SHOW HEARTâ€ charity cooking competition.
WHO: Six prominent, local culinary writers, food bloggers and media personalities.
THE RULES: Contestants must team up with a RA Sushi chef to create and name their “ultimate” signature sushi roll.
THE CATCH: Each roll must incorporate a secret, seasonal ingredient.
THE JUDGES: You! Attendees at the celebration will serve as the judging panel. Each guest will receive ONE token to vote on the best tasting, cutest looking, most creative sushi roll.
THE CAUSE: Each contestant is competing on behalf of a separate philanthropic organization. The championâ€™s dish will be added to RA Sushi in South Miamiâ€™s menu for 30 days, during which a portion of proceeds from the sale of that item will benefit the creatorâ€™s charity of choice.
THE FUN: Aside from noshing on sushi made by an expert panel of your favorite foodies, the celebration will feature music by a special guest DJ and extended Happy Hour pricing until close.
AND NOW, LET’S MEET THE CHALLENGERS…
– Laine Doss, lead Food & Spirits Reporter at Miami New Times and Broward/Palm Beach New Times, as well as contributor to Food Network and Cooking Channel â€“ competing on behalf of Tri County Humane Society, a 100 percent no-kill organization saving lives of animals in Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade and Martin counties.
– Linda Gassenheimer, TV and radio personality at WLRN 91.3 and â€œDinner In Minutesâ€ columnist at The Miami Herald, is an award-winning author of 16 cookbooks, including The Flavors of the Florida Keys and Fast and Flavorful: Great Diabetes Meals from Market to Table â€“ competing on behalf of Camillus House, a full-service center that has provided humanitarian services to the indigent and homeless populations of Miami-Dade County for more than 50 years.
– Jen Karetnick, Dining Critic at MIAMI Magazine and Miamiâ€™s longest-running food critic, she has written about food and travel national publications and websites including Food Networkâ€™s City Eats, Forbes.com, Gayot.com and Southern Living Â¬â€“ competing on behalf of Doctors Without Borders, an international medical humanitarian organization that provides independent, impartial assistance in more than 60 countries.
– Lydia Martin, â€œLunch with Lydiaâ€ columnist for The Miami Herald, has lunched with celebs such as Jennifer Lopez, Lilâ€™ Kim, Penelope Cruz, Will Smith, Sting and Celia Cruz, along with a who’s who of food world personalities, from Ferran Adria and Alain Ducasse to Anthony Bourdain â€“ competing on behalf of Pridelines Youth Services, an organization dedicated to supporting, educating and empowering South Floridaâ€™s lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth in a safe and diverse environment.
– Jacquelynn Powers, Editorial Director of MiamiPopMedia.com and a longtime food writer for Ocean Drive Magazine, The Daily Beast, AOL and Urban Daddy, her interview subjects include Emeril Lagasse, Padma Lakshmi and Wolfgang Puck â€“ competing on behalf of Mourning Family Foundation, a non-profit organization founded by Alonzo and Tracy Mourning to better serve South Florida communities and its children.
– Johnny Todd, Miami Community Director at Yelp and urban explorer seeking the best that local businesses have to offer, Todd has also bested Chicago foodies in two “Iron Cook” competitions (Citrus and Autumn) â€“ competing on behalf of Year Up, a an organization that seeks to close the Opportunity Divide by providing urban young adults with the skills, experience, and support that will empower them to reach their true potential.
The event is free with RSVP to FoodiesShowHeart@taraink.com.
Space is limited!If you love Soul Of Miami, please consider leaving a testimonial.
Click here to sign up for the Soul Of Miami email list.